(864) 226-7576 809 West Market Street Anderson, SC 29624
The Marshall Orr House was built in 1883 by Dr. Samuel Marshall Orr, as a smaller replica of the home of his father, Governor James L. Orr. Gov. Orr's home, known locally as "Forest Home" and "Arlington" was demolished in 1956. A physician in Anderson for 35 years, Dr. Orr owned a pharmacy, was involved with Anderson's first building and loan association and served as vice-president of the Farmers and Merchants Bank. In the community, he served as a trustee of Anderson schools and was a vestryman of Grace Episcopal Church for twenty years.
Anderson is known as "the electric city" because it was the site of the first long-distance transmission of hydroelectric power in the southern US. Dr. Orr was considered a pioneer in the textile industry because of his leadership in the Anderson Power and Electric Company where he served as president. He later became president and treasurer of Orr Cotton Mill.
After Dr. Orr's death, the house was sold to Mr. and Mrs. S. Rhett Parker who resided there from 1905 to 1925. It was then purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Pinckney Orr and was given to the Anderson County Woman's Club (ACWC) in 1973 by their daughter, Mrs. Lula Orr Farmer. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places that same year. Since that time, the house, also known as "Little Arlington," has served as the headquarters of the ACWC and as an events facility for those looking for a distinctive site for their special event.
Photograph courtesy of Susan Gray, Photographer and Brenda Owen, Wedding Officiant/Minister
The house and grounds are available for rent year-round for weddings, receptions, parties, reunions, luncheons, dinners, meetings, workshops, and other special events.